How do I redact information in a ticket?
Often times, customers will inadvertently send us sensitive information or PII (Personally Identifiable Information) materials either through the text they enter into the ticket, or files they may attach.
Zendesk has an add-on tool specifically for redacting details and files within a case. This tool will specifically handle the following:
- Redacts a specific string from ticket comments (public and internal)
- Redacts specific attachment(s) from a ticket
Note: This is a permanent redaction and cannot be undone! Because of this, use of this feature is limited to Zendesk Admins ONLY.
When viewing a case, on the right-hand app panel, you will see an option for Ticket Redaction to expand.
- Enter the text string you wish to redact, then click the Redact button. **This will require doing one string at a time.
- A modal window will display how many occurrences there are within the ticket. This allows you to validate it is seeing all occurrences, and go back and edit if needed.
- Once you confirm the details of the redaction are correct, click the Redact button.
Once the redactions are completed, you will need to refresh your screen to see the redacted text.
To redact attachments, on the app panel, click the Redact Attachment button
The modal window that opens will display all attachments on the ticket, regardless of where it came from. Check the box to the left of each attachment you wish to redact. If you want to remove all attachments easily, check the top box next to Name to auto-select all attached files.
Once the files are selected, click the Redact button and refresh your window.
You will now see that the attached file has been removed and replaced with a redacted.txt file (that is empty when opened) to let any ticket viewers (internal or external) know that a file was attached and has since been redacted.
The customer will see the following when viewing the ticket going forward as well.